The US Parole Commission has said they intend to make their decision to confirm or reject the negative recommendation by the US Parole Examiner on Puerto Rican Political Prisoner Oscar López Rivera, #87651-024, currently incarcerated at FCI Terre Haute. Oscar, 68 years old, is presently serving his 30th year of incarceration for struggling for Puerto Rican independence.
The National Boricua Human Rights Network and the Puerto Rico-based Comité Pro-Derechos Humanos are urging the parole commissioners to reject the wrong-headed and politically punitive recommendation of the parole examiner. We intend to flood the Parole Board with letters until they respond positively. PLEASE DO ALL THREE of the following:
1) DAILY CALL-IN CAMPAIGN FOR THIS WEEK (Jan 31-Feb 4): CALL the Parole Board in support of Oscar Lopez Rivera from 9:00am UNTIL 5:00 PM (EST) CALL and have others call. It only takes 5 minutes. THE NUMBER IS: 301-492-5990 hit 0 to speak to operator. Sample script is below.
Hi, my name is ______________ and I live in Chicago [NY, etc.] The Parole Commission should parole Oscar López # 87651-024 immediately, in spite of the hearing examiner’s recommendation to deny parole.
IF YOU HAVE TIME, USE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING REASONS:
1) Oscar has the support of a broad sector of Puerto Rico’s civil society as well as Puerto Rican and Latino communities throughout the United States.
2) Oscar was not accused or convicted of causing injury or taking a life. He was never accused or convicted of participating in the 1975 Fraunces Tavern bombing or any other action that resulted in injury or death.
3) President Clinton’s determination that Mr. López Rivera’s sentence was disproportionately lengthy, and his offer that would have resulted in Mr. López Rivera’s release in September of 2009.
2) Download the letter to mail and fax here (or write your own using that as a template and place on your letterhead) and send right away. (FAX NO: 301/492-5543) Remember the Parole Commission has stated their intention to make their decision by Feb. 4. Get as many of your friends, family. colleagues and forward to your Facebook and retweet.
3) MAIL Letters to:
Isaac Fulwood, Chariman
United States Parole Commission
5550 Friendship Boulevard, Suite 420
Chevy Chase, Maryland 20815
Re: Oscar López Rivera, #87651-024, FCI Terre Haute
Please keep close track of the letters sent/faxed to the Parole Board and let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please forward far and wide and post and repost.
Via / Boricua Human Rights Network