Michael Moore accused of violating Cuba travel restriction

28287.jpgThe U.S. government says that as American citizens, we are subject to restrictions on our travel into the island nation of Cuba. Controversial documentarian Michael Moore is being probed by U.S. officials to see if he acted unlawfully by visiting Cuba for the filming of his latest film, SiCKO.

Moore posted a letter received from the U.S. Department of Treasury — requiring him to supply documents related to his trip — in its entirety on his website yesterday.

In a statement, also published on his site, Moore’s producer said:

The efforts of the Bush Administration to conduct a politically motivated investigation of Michael Moore and ‘SiCKO’ will not stop us from making sure the American people see this film.


The film reportedly includes interviews with 9/11 first responders suffering from ailments associated with the attack, and who have not received adequate healthcare. The statement goes on:

On September 11, 2001 this country was attacked. Thousands of Americans responded with heroism and courage, toiling for days, weeks and months in the ruins at Ground Zero. These 9/11 first responders risked their lives searching for survivors, recovering bodies, and clearing away toxic rubble. Now, many of these heroes face serious health issues — and far too many of them are not receiving the care they need and deserve. President Bush and the Bush Administration should be spending their time trying to help these heroes get health care instead of abusing the legal process to advance a political agenda.

Late last year fellow filmmaker Oliver Stone was fined for allegedly violating the U.S. embargo on Cuba.

SiCKO is expected to make its debut in the U.S. on June 29th. It will be interesting to see the reception it gets at the Cannes Film Festival this month.

Via / MichaelMoore.com

Post to Twitter